Friday, April 24, 2015

Dining Out - The Clan

Since we did not have to pick the kids up from school today, Mum suggested we go for a nice long leisurely lunch at a good restaurant. We decided to go to The Clan since it had great reviews on HungryGoWhere.

The 5-course set lunch was priced at $49.80++ and it was definitely value-for-money. There were a good variety of interesting options to pick from each section.

My selection was:

  • Chef's Starter
  • Side Dish - Pan Seared Foie Gras with Mustard Seed Bread & Balsamico Reduction
  • Soup - Roasted Pumpkin with Bacon Bits
  • Main Course - Prime Beef Short Ribs on Hoba Leaf with Peppercorn Sauce on Lava Stone
  • Dessert - Chocolate Lava Cake with Homemade Gelato
Chef's Starter

The Chef's Starter includes 3 dishes based on the chef's choice ingredients of the day. We got chopped smoked salmon, pan-seared scallop with foam and foie gras chawanmushi served to us. My favourite of the 3 was the scallop (always a sucker for seafood I am, typing like Yoda too I am), followed by the smoked salmon. I did not like the chawanmushi that much as I thought it would have tasted better if served hot and freshly steamed as opposed to the bowl that was served to me lukewarm,

Pan Seared Foie Gras with Mustard Seed Bread & Balsamico Reduction

I actually regretted picking this after I tasted it. I forgot how fatty and rich foie gras can be. Plus this was a little overdone and I do not think the slab was exceptionally fresh either. It was not bad, but I would not say this was worth the calories. That being said, it paired well with the accompanying dried cranberries.

Mum picked the Kurobuta Pork Belly Confit with Pork Cracker & Passionfruit Sauce, which she enjoyed (I did not get to try). The restaurant staff surprised us with a complimentary side dish, Steamed Razor Clam & Salmon Trout Roe Drizzled with Japanese Sauce. I was thrilled because that was the other side dish I had considered getting. They said it was one of their signature dishes and thought we should try it.

Steamed Razor Clam & Salmon Trout Roe Drizzled with Japanese Sauce

This was yummy! Obsessed with seafood I am, mention did I not?

Pumpkin Soup with Bacon Bits

I really enjoyed this. It is an example of a simple dish done well. The sweet pureed pumpkin soup paired well with the salty bacons bits which also lent additional texture to the soup.

Prime Beef Short Ribs on Hoba Leaf with Peppercorn Sauce on Lava Stone

Eating this dish takes some effort and a dash of patience. Since the beef slices were presented raw, you will need to use chopsticks to spread it out atop the hot lava stone in order to cook it. This was slightly challenging because they were generous with the beef and the surface area of the stone was not big enough to arrange all the slices. This is a dish best ordered if one likes his/her beef steak rare or medium rare, which luckily for me I do. The marbled beef was tasty when eaten with the accompanying peppercorn sauce. I requested for extra sauce and the obliging staff brought it to me promptly.

Baked Codfish with Lemon Parmesan Croquette in Watercress Sauce

Mum picked the Baked Codfish with Lemon Parmesan Croquette in Watercress Sauce for her main dish and she said she enjoyed it (I did not get to try yet again).

Triple Espresso Creme Brulee

She picked the Triple Espresso Creme Brulee for dessert and I tried some of it. The sugar shell was nicely caramelised and the coffee-flavoured custard was pretty tasty. 

Chocolate Lava Cake with Homemade Gelato

The chocolate lava cake was good and it satisfied my chocolate craving. The molten core flowed out like it was supposed to when I cut into the cake. It paired well with the vanilla gelato and green tea crumble.

Molten Chocolate Lava Cake

Look at the soft molten core rushing out to meet the green tea crumble!

This place is a great find. I must say that prices are truly reasonable for the quality of the food served, the interesting options to choose from and the warm service.


The Clan Restaurant
Address: 20 Bukit Pasoh Road Singapore 089834
Phone: 6222 2084

No comments:

Post a Comment