Sunday, April 26, 2015

Sweet Endings - YiLi PaoPao Ice

HC & I got to meet XT's beau today over dinner at Supply & Demand. Always a little weird these sort of meet ups, when you have already heard so much about the other person that small talk gets a little awkward. And so I handled it in my usual manner, I prattled away and hogged the conversation (sorry friends, I cannot take awkward silence).

Since I want need dessert after our meal, I suggested we go to YiLi PaoPao located at the basement of Orchard Central. It is a chain originating from Shihlin night market in Taiwan that sells finely shaved ice using real fruit puree resulting in an icy treat that is supposedly less sinful than ice cream. 8 Days had just reviewed the place in the latest issue and gave it quite a good review.

You get to pick 2 flavours in every $4.95 cup. I chose Passion Fruit for my first flavour and the server recommended that I pair it with Pineapple, so I did.

YiLi PaoPao Ice

While the consistency of the finely shaved ice was smooth, I thought it was way too sweet. A lighter hand with the sugar would have been better. By the time I finished it, I had that slightly sickly feeling one would get from consuming copious amounts of sugar. Not a good feeling. Give me proper ice cream any day over this.


YiLi PaoPao Ice
Address: 181 Orchard Road #B2-05 Orchard Central Singapore 238896

No comments:

Post a Comment