Saturday, May 16, 2015

Dining Out - Grub Noodle Bar

Brunch at Grub Noodle Bar with the Mum and the Sister after F texted us in the morning recommending the place.

Grub Noodle Bar

Mum got the Assam Laksa, I got the Beef Noodles (Soup) and the Sister got the Beef Noodles (Dry) with Pasture-Fed Chuck Eye Roll. We topped up $5 for the Lunch Set, which gets us an Appetizer and a scoop of ice cream each. For the appetizers, we picked Chicken Mid-Wings, Kang Kong Salad and Vermicelli Salad With Prawns to share.

Kang Kong Salad

Out of the 3 appetizers we tried, the Kang Kong Salad was my favourite. Blanched kang kong was tossed with nonya achar and house dressing, topped with crushed peanuts. This tasted like a healthy rojak - sweet, sour and savoury all at once. The kang kong was not overcooked so it still had crunch.

Vermicelli Salad With Prawns

The chilled Vermicelli Salad With Prawns featured glass noodles tossed in a chilli and sesame dressing, with halved de-shelled prawns and topped with crushed peanuts, cut chilli and coriander. This was also decent, though it would have been better if the sauce was spicier.

Chicken Mid-Wings

The fried Chicken Mid-Wings were so-so. I thought that the batter was not crispy enough, but I did like the curry leaves, garlic and sesame seeds scattered atop the wings as they added flavour. I could have done without the mayonnaise drizzle since I am generally not a fan of this white sauce. 

Beef Noodles (Soup)

The beef noodles featured fresh egg noodles and 100g of beef served in their beef broth and garnished with chopped chilli and coriander. This was not bad, but I have had tastier beef broth at other places. But it needs to be highlighted that this place does not use MSG in its soup, while I am pretty sure the yummier soups I have had at other places are spiked liberally with monosodium glutamate. The egg noodles were cooked just right and had a great texture.

The alcoholic sister wanted beer and since the place has an all-day 1-for-1 deal of their German craft beers (on tap), I agreed to drink with her. She got the Weihenstephan Original, which is a Lager and I went for the Weihenstephan Hefeweissbier, which is a wheat beer. I had only wanted to get the 330ml pint, but the greedy alcoholic insisted that the 500ml mug was a better deal.

(From left) Weihenstephan Original, Weihenstephan Hefeweissbier

Finishing the food and washing it all down with half a litre of beer made me really really full. 

When we were about to leave, the waitress reminded us we still each have a scoop of ice cream. I had asked for Green Tea flavour, which turned out to be a little too milky tasting for me. Since I was stuffed, I gladly left it to melt but Mum could not bear to see it go to waste and she finished it for me.


Grub Noodle Bar
Address: 221 Rangoon Road Singapore 218459
Phone: 6341 5631

No comments:

Post a Comment