Friday, March 13, 2015

Dining Out - Wild Rocket

The Younger Sister had a day off work and since Mum didn't need to pick up the kids from school, the 3 of us decided to have a nice lunch together. Tasked with picking a place, I chose Wild Rocket at Mount Emily since I had yet to try this established decade-old restaurant headed by local chef, Willin Low.

By the time we arrived at the place, it was already 1.45pm. We made the last order time of 2pm, but the staff gave us the impression that they were not too happy about our late arrival. Service was a little patchy at the beginning. We could not get the attention of any server to place our order even though the place was small and not full. They also did not take our drink order or made any attempt to offer us any water and we had to request for it after eyeing the servers parading back and forth topping up other diners' glasses.

While I would have loved to try out the Omakase Lunch Menu, we knew that the team at Wild Rocket would probably not be too happy to accede to our request, so we all got the 3-Course Set Lunch instead and ordered the same dishes - Roasted Pumpkin & Coconut Soup with Crab Roll, Mee Tai Mak with Minced Pork & Onsen Egg and Calamansi & Kaffir Granita with Fresh Citrus Fruit.

Roasted Pumpkin & Coconut Soup with Crab Roll

I found the soup too salty and thought it tasted like a salty curry-like gravy instead. It is missing the sweetness typical of most pumpkin soups. The accompanying crab roll was warm from the fryer and made up for the disappointment of the lackluster soup.

Mee Tai Mak with Minced Pork & Onsen Egg

I had high hopes for this dish since I thought the use of Mee Tai Mak as a main ingredient was interesting. But sadly, the dish was once again ruined by a chef with a heavy hand on the salt. As such, I could not really taste the herbs or the nuanced flavours that I had expected. 

At this point, I wondered if the chefs seasoned our food with salt liberally out of spite because we arrived late and robbed them of a earlier resting time.

Calamansi & Kaffir Granita with Fresh Citrus Fruit

Dessert was the only redeeming factor of the meal. The tart scoop of granita laid atop fresh pomelo fruit bits was light and refreshing. Our taste buds definitely welcomed the combination of sweet and sour after the salty assault earlier.

For a restaurant to survive 10 years in the competitive F&B scene, I am sure Wild Rocket is capable of delivering a better experience than what I had gone through. But I guess I just did not have the luck to experience the restaurant at its best. It was Friday the 13th after all. 

With so many new and exciting restaurants in Singapore these days, I am hard-pressed to find a reason to return when my time and money can be better spent elsewhere.


Wild Rocket
Address: 10A Upper Wilkie Road Singapore 228119
Phone: 6339 9448




No comments:

Post a Comment